Friday, April 6, 2012

Journaling Artistically Techniques: Adding Artwork, Tracing Fonts & Monograms, Using 3D Pens

A lot of my journal pages uses the templates that I created, but sometimes I want to spice it up a bit and add some more artistic elements to the page. So I have been learning how to use tools and techniques that I thought I would share in a few posts.
I took Shannon's idea seen here


and made my own "one of a kind" version out of it. 



I dedicated one side of the page to a Humble woman and the other side to a Prideful Woman. I chose those portraits because I wanted something better than stick figures, something with color, and I like them. :) I think Venus by Botticelli looks very pure in that image. And for the other woman (Boreas by John William Waterhouse)- I feel like she is shielding herself from all the prideful things I have written next to her, protecting herself from them becoming a part of her. I searched a long time to find an evil looking woman and just couldn't find anything that seemed to fit. So there it is. 


To label the pages I used Lady Rene font which I am in love with. I'm kind of a font snob and addict. (FYI: every time you use Comic Sans, a designer loses their wings.) Depending on the paper I use, sometimes I will just print a font right onto the page and other times I will print it out on regular paper and using a little light box (I got mine at Hobby Lobby for $10), I will trace the letters onto it like I did here. 


I went over some of the words using 3D pens
They are pens that leave the ink raised. They aren't meant to be used on porous surfaces but I still use them on my paper and I think they are cool.

Here is another example of where I traced fonts and used the 3D pens on the page:
The letter "H" was traced from this website where you can download monograms and trace them. Here is a great video demonstrating how to do it.


The whole quote was done awhile ago and I just added into the page. I share this idea because you could have a get together or craft night with friends where you decorate fun quotes for your scripture journals and save the personal study stuff for later.

I used the talk "Beware of Pride" by Ezra Taft Benson  (a really AWESOME talk btw) to get all the humble and prideful attributes I listed on the pages. Sometimes I just used opposites of each other. There is still room left on the Humble side so if I come across anything in the future I can continue to add to it.



I still don't think the layout is done, it needs something still. Any ideas? My next post will be about using a lot of Tim Holtz products and techniques so stay tuned!






If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to One of a Kind Gifts here!

3 comments:

  1. OOOOOOO! Tim Holtz is my absolute favorite!!! Can't wait!!! Maybe you could add some bling to the prideful side. Love you sis!!
    Chalyse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your journal is turingin out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife loves your blog! These ideas are awesome, a lot of them are great gift ideas!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails